It was INCREDIBLE. Best fake bread I have ever made and I really have tried everything. I used my favorite thing in the whole world to make it: Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Rice. Sidebar: Did you know you can reserve up to 5 bags of cauliflower rice at TJ’s for the next time they have it in? My sister heard today there is a massive cauliflower shortage so they won’t be able to stock it for a little while. Man, is this what they mean by too much of a good thing? Good thing I bought 6 bags last weekend…
I adapted a couple recipes in order to get to use my favorite TJ’s product and it was shockingly successful. I am all out of frozen cauliflower rice right now, my freezer stock finally dissipated. I was able to get the new refrigerated version that just came out though! I know, I know, just make my own. I have a food processor so I know I should. But when you are eating healthy, ONE less barrier is always helpful.
Cauliflower Cheesy Bread/Pizza
- 4 cups of riced cauliflower (cheat like me and buy it this way at Trader Joe’s, fresh or frozen)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cup mozzarellla cheese
- 3 tsp oregano
- 4 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Toppings: cheese, pizza stuff
- Preheat oven to 450 and prep 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. The paper helps absorb some of the liquid and made my crust better than without.
- Microwave the heck out of your cauliflower in a microwave safe, large bowl. For me, this was about 10 minutes in my microwave which is pretty powerful. I have made this with both fresh and frozen and both took the same amount of time)
- Let the cauliflower cool for a couple minutes so it does not “cook” the eggs. Toss in eggs, cheese, oregano, garlic, and salt and pepper. Stir well. Cheese should be a bit melty already.
- Divide the cauliflower dough onto the two baking sheets and spread out into the shape you want. I tried a circle and a rectangle 🙂
- Bake for 25 minutes on the lowest rack. When it is golden brown, take it out and put on your toppings (Just cheese for cheesy bread or you can make your favorite pizza)
So if you have ever had a Maui Zowie pizza from Round Table, you will understand why I miss pizza so much. I decided to try to make my own and huge success. I mean how could it not be? Its’ got like 14 thousand toppings and incorporates sweet chili sauce.
Maui Zowie Pizza Components
- Cauliflower crust, baked to golden brown (scroll up!)
- Bechemel sauce made with almond milk (scroll down!)
- Sweet chili sauce
- Mozzarella cheese or pizza blend, about 1 1/2 cups
- Roma tomatoes, diced
- Green onions, sliced
- Bacon bits
- Red onions, thin slices
- Pineapple tidbits
- Black olives, sliced
- Hawaiian bacon or ham, chopped to bite size pieces
When the cauliflower crust comes out of the oven, spread a layer of the white garlic bechemel sauce and then a layer of sweet chili sauce. Layer cheese and toppings and bake for another 10-15 minutes. I added 5 minutes of broil time because I like my cheese browned!
Bechemel Sauce with Almond Milk
This is just an easy white sauce to use as the base for your pizza. It needs the sweet chili on top to add the flavor though. This is more for that creamy texture. If you want to skip this, that is totally a-okay. Regular pizza sauce is never bad. Recipe has been adapted to fit quantity wanted and with a little garlic flavor from http://whatscookingamerica.net/Sauces_Condiments/Bechamel-Sauce.htm
- 2 TB of unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2TB of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 cup of almond milk
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and add the garlic, allowing it to cook the garlic a little.
- Add flour, whisking a few minutes until the flour mixture becomes bubbly (this is the roux). Do not allow the roux mixture to brown or darken.
- Gradually add the milk, while whisking constantly, until the mixture is well blended and smooth.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly (so that the mixture does not stick to the bottom of the pan and begin to burn), until the sauce begins to boil and thicken. I like to turn my heat to very low. Immediately remove from heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add to your pizza crust!
I have been snacking on leftovers for the past couple days too and it microwaves up quite nicely.